What is a urethral bulking?
- During a urethral bulking, the doctor will injection material into the urethra, the tube at the opening to the bladder.
- This may be performed to help tighten the urethral muscle, so you leak less urine.
- This procedure may need to be repeated as needed.
What Will Happen?
- Be sure to eat a small meal prior to your appointment.
- It is nice to bring a driver with you, but it is not mandatory.
- The nurse will drain your bladder and apply an anesthetic gel to the bladder opening.
- Your will then wait for 20 minutes to be sure the urethra is completely numb.
- The physician will place a small camera into the bladder.
- The injecting needle will pass through the camera and into the urethra.
- Usually 2-3 injections are needed.
- The procedure usually takes only 5-10 minutes.
- At the end of the procedure, your bladder is drained again for your comfort.
- You may return to normal activities right away.
- Be sure to take all the antibiotic prescribed by the doctor.
- It is common to see some pink, red, or brown fluid in the urine; be sure to drink plenty of fluids to flush out the bladder.
- You may also see some black sandy material in the urine; this is just excess bulking material.
- You may also use Azo, Pyridium, or Uribel as you may have burning with urination for a short time after the procedure.
Thank you for allowing us to provide you with the best medical care!