What to Expect: Office Hysteroscopy
What is Hysteroscopy?
- During a hysteroscopy, the doctor uses a small camera to look inside the uterus.
- This may be performed to diagnose abnormal bleeding, polyps, fibroids, or other conditions.
- Sometimes a biopsy (sample of tissue) is also taken at the same time.
What Will Happen?
- Take the Misoprostol at bedtime the night before the procedure.
- Be sure to eat a small meal prior to your appointment.
- It is nice to bring a driver with you, but it is not mandatory.
- You may be given a muscular injection of pain medication.
- The camera will be inserted into the uterus to examine it.
- Most women feel mild to moderate cramping during the procedure, but it is well tolerated.
- At the end of the procedure, a biopsy may be taken from the inside of the uterus.
- At home, you may use Ibuprofen or Tylenol, as well as a heating pad if needed.
- You may return to normal activities right away.
- You may use tampons or pads, as you may have light spotting or bleeding after the procedure.
Thank you for allowing us to provide you with the best medical care!