Day Prior to Procedure
- Take 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours for 24 hours (do not miss any doses!)
Day of Procedure
- Continue to take 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours.
- Take two Percocet prior to the procedure.
- Eat a normal meal on the day of your procedure.
- Bring a driver with you to the procedure.
During the Procedure
- You will receive a muscular injection of pain medication.
- You will receive a local injection of anesthesia around the cervix.
- You will wait 10 minutes or so for the medications to take effect.
- The procedure will then be completed.
After the Procedure
- Your driver can take you home. You may eat and drink normally.
- Continue to take the ibuprofen every 6 hours and Percocet every 4 hours for the next 24-48 hours as needed. .
- You may continue to use a heating pad or hot water bottle as needed.
- Avoid intercourse or tampons in the vagina for 2 weeks; light to normal activity is fine, but heavy exercise may cause increased bleeding.
- You can return to other activities as soon as you feel able.
- You will need back up contraception until you have the HSG (uterine dye study) in 3 months!
Thank you for allowing us to provide you with the best medical care!